How’s grad school going?
I hope that you are enjoying every minute of it! I remember my time in graduate school with great fondness. It was the 1990s and most of us read and wrote and argued and taught under the assumption that this is what we were (a) meant to do with our lives and (b) going to do for the rest of our lives. And for some of us–including me, for quite a while–that totally panned out.
Today’s graduate students face a completely different landscape. The changing economic structure of most universities, increased adjunctification, have led to calls for PhD education to be curtailed (why bring in more students than the academy can employ?) or expanded (why not re-think the PhD as preparation for careers other than academia?). This, in turn, makes opting to enter grad school, stick it out, and finish with aplomb a fraught choice.
Enter Thrive, PhD. Beginning after MLK day in 2018, Katy Peplin and I are launching a Mighty Network community and on-line course to accompany you through graduate school. With Thrive, PhD, we are creating an affordable, online community that offers accountability, skills, and support for you, wherever you are in your graduate school journey.
We’ll cover topics such as:
- Self assessment
- Project management
- Habits and routines
- Research and writing skill building
- Building a mentorship team
- Crafting a teaching persona, both in class and in job documents
- Working inside and outside of academia
And we’ll do it through
- weekly coaching calls to monitor progress, talk through course topics, and get unstuck in our work
- personalized privacy levels–you don’t have to let it all hang out! (Mighty Networks is invitation only)
- accountability threads–let the community help you stay on track!
- video library & live discussions with experts. We know great people; let us introduce you!
- chat features to stay in touch with fellow community members and your coaches
All of this at a price that won’t break the bank. Promise.
We’re launching a beta course in a few weeks. If you want to be one of the first to hear, sign up for our mailing list. And if you have questions, or if you think we’re missing a topic, get in touch with me and let us know. We’ll be thrilled to hear from you.